History of Blythewood Plantation as told by O.M. Roberts Kennedy direct descendant of original owner of Spanish Grant Land.
During the Spanish rule, 3000 acres of land was granted to Reliegh Self on which the original Blythewood was built before the Civil War, and became a working cotton plantation.
The home was burned and in 1885 Daniel Hardy Sanders rebuilt Blythewood in all of its original splendor! It took 3 years to complete this 18-room Colonial Revival Style Mansion! The architects were Drake & Anderson of New York. John James Dalstrom of New Orleans was the contractor.
Blythewood not only is open for tours but also hosts Bed and Breakfasts (by appointment), weddings & receptions, luncheons, candlelit dinners, parties, retreats and more!